“Meh” reads, aka 2-3 star reads on my personal Goodreads scale, are the actual WORST. I feel like I’ve read quite a few of them this year. They’re just books that I don’t feel one way or the other about, or found boring, or just weren’t that memorable. I find “meh” books so frustrating, and here are some of the reasons why:
- I don’t know what to rate them on Goodreads. I don’t really do reviews that often, and don’t put ratings in them when I do, so Goodreads is the only place I actually rate books with stars. If I didn’t like a book, it’s obviously automatically one or two stars, and if I did, it can be 3-5 stars. But a book that was boring or unmemorable, or that was just “meh”? What do I rate that??
- I can’t find anything to say about it. When I’m reading a “meh” book and someone asks me how my book is, or I’m talking to someone about it, I’m always at a loss for words. Even if I don’t like a book, I can find something to say because I actually FEEL something about it. But if I have no feelings about it, what really IS there to say?
- It’s not even entertaining. Even reading a bad book can be entertaining because you’re so invested in how much you hate it. With a “meh” book, there’s nothing to get invested in or be compelled by. Sometimes I just finish the book because even though I don’t LIKE it, I’m still curious to see how much worse it can get.
- I feel like I can’t DNF it. With a book that’s genuinely terrible, I feel like I can justify not finishing it. I always feel bad not finishing a book because I put the effort into reading it, but if it’s really bad, then it’s a little easier for me to not finish it and put it aside. If it’s “meh,” I can’t think of a good reason not to finish it, so I end up sticking with it even if it takes me forever to read because I’m not enjoying it or invested enough.
- It’s wasted reading time. And, since I don’t usually DNF a “meh” book, it’s time wasted reading that I could’ve used on a better book. In reality I need to get better at abandoning books I don’t like, but I keep feeling weird anxiety whenever I think about not finishing a book? I never used to feel that way, but I always feel anxious now when I start considering whether to finish a book or not, like it’s too big of a decision. But, if I made the effort to read better books, I’d probably read more memorable books I enjoyed.
How do you handle “meh” books? Do you have trouble DNFing books, too?