Phew, May went by really fast, and I am quite glad it is over, though most of the things that happened that were not so great in May will carry over into June because I have health problems now! Ummmmm yeah, so I finally got in to see a doctor a couple weeks ago about the fact that I’m often very nauseous for no apparent reason, which turned out to be good because my heart rate has been really high lately, and I apparently have a heart condition that makes it beat super fast called sinus tachychardia, which fortunately you cannot die from. However, they can’t do anything about it yet like meds to slow my heart rate because I had heart surgery as a baby and they have to make sure it’s not a physical problem.
Last week though, I ended up in the ER because I felt like I was going to pass out. The doctors there thought it is probably anxiety related (so you can’t die from stress and anxiety but you can get health problems, apparently), which is not great. My anxiety has been admittedly very very high lately and I’m anxious most if not all of the time, but on the bright side, at least I wasn’t depressed this month?
On a happier note, one of my best friends adopted a CAT and I can’t wait to meet her. She is small and orange and purrs frequently, according to aforementioned friend, and currently has no name. I have secretly always wanted an orange kitty, though to be honest I couldn’t have asked for better kittens than my kittens. I am so much less stressed about the kittens than I have been since I first got them, and I fully love them now and love coming home and having Cedar nuzzle the crap out of me because he missed me while I was at work.
What I Read
I don’t know what happened this month but I read…12 books?!?! Or at least 12 at the time of writing this post. It’ll probably be 13 by the time it is published. Anyway. I guess I kinda know what happened; I participated in Bout of Books again, which always encourages me to read more, and then my reading pace just flew up from there. I am very pleased about this because I haven’t been reading this much since graduating college 2 years ago and I am very happy about it.
The most disappointing book this month for me was FROM TWINKLE, WITH LOVE, for all the reasons laid out in this post. There were a lot of highlights though, especially THE BRIGHTSIDERS, which was pure queer YA magic. I also ended up loving LEGENDARY even though I wasn’t sure about it at first, and I just finished WHEN MY HEART JOINS THE THOUSAND, which had such a unique, strong voice and was excellent.
I also started in on the Spring Fling Read-A-Thon and have read a few books for that as well. It’s going until June 15th, so I still have time to get in some more books for it.
The post I enjoyed writing the most was my post about how I’m blogging differently on this blog than on former blogs. My stats are still really low because I am really new (it’s only my second full month!) but they seem a little down from a couple weeks ago. I’m still getting very consistent likes and comments, and really enjoy responding to them! I also blogged about writing more, which I hope will motivate me to soon start writing again, or at least write a little at least one time. Small steps here.
- My essential oil diffuser. To be fair, I’ve only used it twice, but I do really like it! It was recommended that I try aromatherapy, and I did find the lavender mist very relaxing.
- Tanmit dual-tip markers. I’ve been using these for a while for bullet-journaling, but I recently got a 60-pack because I wanted more variety in colors. I love having the ability to make my journal even prettier, plus they don’t bleed through the pages.
- Masterchef. I’m done with the most recent seasons of Top Model, Project Runway, and related spin-offs, so I’ve tried to satiate my need for mindless reality shows with this cooking show. I think I actually like it better than Top Chef because the judges are more interesting (I mean who can beat Gordon Ramsey?) I’m currently very invested in season 2 and will be quite put out if the jerk of the season wins (even though he is kind of good, though not as good as his arrogance would have you believe).
May Goals: Recap
In May, I wanted to…
- Read 4 books ! I did this! Three times over, to be exact!!
- Write at least once X I did not do this. But maybe I’m getting there?
- Work out at least once a week ! Based on what I consider working out, I did this, too!
- Research recording software X Did not do this; lost interest
- Continue experimenting with Instagram X honestly I’m…not sure if I’m so interested in bookstagram anymore. I don’t think I have enough physical copies to do it or photo skills or props or anything else.
- Not be sad or jealous during BookExpo ! Technically as I’m writing this post this has not passed yet, but I think I’m mostly over the BEA hype. The thought of travelling to NYC is stressful just by itself for me at the moment.