I love blogging, but blogging is not always a smooth sailing type of thing. I would like to imagine that every blogger has things they’re insecure about, so hopefully this post will resonate with some people and not offend too many.
- I care a lot about how a person’s blog looks. If your blog looks super unprofessional or ugly/generally unpleasing to the eye, I am way less likely to follow it or comment on it. I know this is really superficial, and I should just care about content, but I don’t want to go on a blog a lot if I feel annoyed every time I look at the blog design. I know we’re not all graphic designers, but if it looks like minimal effort was put into making a blog look appealing or if there are design aspects I hate, it honestly makes me kind of not want to read it, even though I know that’s very superficial.
- I feel embarrassed about my stats. Honestly…I’m lucky to get 30 views a day right now. I feel bad about this because I don’t know if that’s normal for someone with under 300 followers to get. I blogged for five years before starting this blog, and that was where my views stayed even when I got up to 500 followers. I don’t know at what following point people start getting upwards of 1,000 views, or even 100. My stats are so dismal and it’s a good thing my posts are getting decent engagement for a blog that’s less than a year old, otherwise I’d be feeling extra bad about them.
- I’m almost too nervous to even talk about ARCs on here. Suffice it to say, I feel bad about the state of my unread ARCs.
- I’m not sure if I have a distinct blogging voice or style. I feel like lots of bloggers today have writing and posting styles that are really different from each other, which is amazing considering how many book blogs exist. I’m continuously impressed by people’s originality and uniqueness of voices in the community, which makes me feel a little bad because I don’t feel like my voice or style is very unique. I write some posts differently depending on my mood, but overall I feel like my writing style errs on the more formal side of things, which could be one reason why I’m not as followed or viewed as I’d like.
- I get into commenting slumps. Sometimes, I read lots of blog posts with the intentions of leaving comments and spreading the love, but I can’t come up with anything meaningful to say even if a post is really good. I try to consistently respond to comments on my own blog no matter what state of mind I’m in, but it is sometimes hard to comment on other people’s all the time even though I want to, because everyone writes wonderful things.
- I’m not the best at social media for blogging. I recently decided to deactivate my twitter account because it was a mess and I am terrible at tweeting. I’d like to get better and write super clever tweets, but the likelihood of that feels very low right now. I also feel periodically left out of bookstagram and try to join in, but finding an aesthetic is so hard and again, I am not good at coming up with clever captions.
Can anyone else relate to any of these? Am I overthinking things? Do you have other things you feel bad about blogging-wise?