Today is one of my favorite blog postings of the year, aka the annual End of the Year Survey hosted by The Perpetual Page Turner that I’ve done every year since I first started blogging! I am so excited that I am a) once again blogging so b) I get to do the survey this year! Woohoo!
Note: all graphics by The Perpetual Page Turner!
**2018 READING STATS**
Number Of Books You Read: 70
Number of Re-Reads: 9!
Genre You Read The Most From: It’s probably a tie between contemporary and fantasy, since those are basically the only genres I read
1. Best Book You Read In 2018?
Ummmm…This is a hard question. I read so many good books! I usually pick a contemporary book, but this year I’m actually going with a fantasy, the book that destroyed my entire soul, aka FOREST OF A THOUSAND LANTERNS by Julie C. Dao.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
LEAH ON THE OFFBEAT by Becky Albertalli. I had SUCH high hopes for this book–it’s the sequel to Simon Vs., one of my favorite queer books, plus the MC is fat AND bi, aka me. However, it was EXTREMELY disappointing–Leah was so mean for seemingly no reason, and she makes a super hurtful bi comment that is never fully addressed even though this book is touted as such amazing bi rep. #notafan
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
Definitely INVISIBLE MONSTERS by Robyn Schneider, which is about a girl who sees her brother’s ghost, and a childhood friend who returns with a secret. I wasn’t expecting…honestly, anything from this book, but it was SO GOOD!!
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
Probably THE BELLES, which is somewhat surprising given that when I first read it, I wasn’t sure if I liked it or not.
5. Best series you started in 2018? Best Sequel of 2018? Best Series Ender of 2018?
Series started: SHADOW & BONE by Leigh Bardugo (I finally read it!!)
Sequel: LEGENDARY by Stephanie Garber
Series ender: ALWAYS & FOREVER, LARA JEAN by Jenny Han (reread, but still amazing!)
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2018?
Probably Leigh Bardugo. I can’t believe I never read her books before and now I’m dying to finish RUIN & RISING so I can move on to SIX OF CROWS and then read KING OF SCARS next year!
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
Oh, hands down WARCROSS by Marie Lu. I NEVER read sci-fi, but this book was AMAZING and is a new favorite book.
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Apparently I’m just going to gush about WARCROSS for a bit, but it was SO GOOD and action-packed and the world building was on point and just…<3 <3 <3 WARCROSS <3 <3 <3
9. Book You Read In 2018 That You Would Be MOST Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
SIEGE & STORM by Leigh Bardugo…I started RUIN & RISING a while ago but found the beginning a little slow, so I put it down. But now, I can’t remember for the life of me what happened in SIEGE & STORM, so I may have to reread it even though I only read it a few months ago.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2018?
LET’S TALK ABOUT LOVE by Claire Kann!
11. Most memorable character of 2018?
Xifeng from FOREST OF A THOUSAND LANTERNS. Girl is FIERCE and DARK and CRAZY and OMGSOTWISTED.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2018?
Can I just pick FOREST OF A THOUSAND LANTERNS for everything on this list? I just love it so much and the writing is amazing! It’s like reading a long fairy tale.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2018?
MONDAY’S NOT COMING by Tiffany D. Jackson was very thought-provoking. It’s a thriller that deals with a lot of important issues, like child abuse and neglect and the importance people place or don’t place on the disappearance of girls of color, and just…you need to read it!
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2018 to finally read?
SHADOW AND BONE wins again, folks! I know why I didn’t read this until 2018 but I also don’t know why?? Like?? It’s so good?? How did I not?
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2018?
–I don’t do quotes–
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2018?
Shortest: WE HAVE ALWAYS LIVED IN THE CASTLE by Shirley Jackson
Longest: A COURT OF WINGS AND RUIN by Sarah J. Maas
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
(Because of a plot twist, character death, left you hanging with your mouth wide open, etc.)
Again, MONDAY’S NOT COMING…that was the most…intense (and disturbing!) twist I have ever read in YA.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Lira & Elian from TO KILL A KINGDOM. It also works because the boat literally takes place on a ship.
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Xifeng and Guma from FOREST OF A THOUSAND LANTERNS. Their relationship isn’t…good…but it’s so interesting and complex and layered.
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2018 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
WARCROSS by Marie Lu. I read but didn’t like THE YOUNG ELITES one time.
21. Best Book You Read In 2018 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure/Bookstagram, Etc.:
Probably Cait from Paper Fury’s book, A THOUSAND PERFECT NOTES.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2018?
I know this is bad, but…the Darkling…
23. Best 2018 debut you read?
It’s a toss up between SEA WITCH by Sarah Henning and TO KILL A KINGDOM by Alexandra Christo. I would’ve picked THE HAZEL WOOD since it was pub’ed this year, but I read it in 2017!
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
Can I PRETTY PLEASE pick WARCROSS for literally everything??
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Ooh, def SAVE THE DATE by Morgan Matson. That book was a ball of cotton candy fluff that was so joyful and delightful and just…[insert heart eyes here]
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2018?
Oh lord, WHEN MY HEAR JOINS THE THOUSAND. That book, y’all.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
THE BRIGHTSIDERS by Jen Wilde!!!!!! I will stan that book forever and ever it is so queer and positive and FANTASTIC.
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Oh great, here we go again with FOREST OF A THOUSAND LANTERNS. I’m sorry! I just love that book so much!!
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2018?
Lianne Oelke’s NICE TRY, JANE SINNER. It was an amazing representation of depression written in a journal and script format.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
Ugh, LEAH ON THE OFFBEAT, again. This book just read like Simon fanfic to me and the bi rep was actually terrible and Leah is a horrible human.
1. New favorite book blog/Bookstagram/Youtube channel you discovered in 2018?
OMG, so many! Caro of The Bookcheshire Cat, Michelle of The Writing Hufflepuff, Lu of It’s Lu Again…Can I list everyone I follow on one post please?
2. Favorite post you wrote in 2018?
I really liked my tarot reading of WARCROSS.
3. Favorite bookish related photo you took in 2018:?
4. Best bookish event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, etc.)?
I met Nic Stone because we hosted her at the library where I work! I embarrassed myself and she said she likes my (real) name!
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2018?
Making so many book blogging friends! Getting back into blogging!
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
I fell into so many reading slumps. And I keep getting increasingly frustrated at my reading pace. I feel like I read so slowly now. I used to be able to read 100+ books, and this year I barely read 70.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
Most viewed: How Book Blogging Has Changed
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Um…all of them????
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Unicorn Crate! I got a couple boxes this year and I LOVED them. They are so beautiful and it’s YA fantasy!!
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I set a goal to read 50 books at the beginning of the year and read about 70. At the end of the year I tried to make it to 75 but as of the writing of this post I do not think that is going to occur.
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2018 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2019?
AUTOBOYOGRAPHY by Christina Lauren! I keep meaning to read that book, and it blew up for a minute on the book blogosphere earlier in the year.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2019 (non-debut)?
Hazel Wood 2!!!!!!
3. 2019 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
WILDER GIRLS by Rory Power–pitched as a feminist LORD OF THE FLIES <3 <3
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2019?
FINALE by Stephanie Garber!!!!!!!
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2019?
Increase my reading pace. Stop getting into so many slumps. Stop putting pressure on myself about reading. Try scheduling my TBR.
6. A 2019 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone (if applicable):
I haven’t actually read any yet (that I recommend, anyway…)