So, lately, a weird thing has happening that has been very uncharacteristic of me for the past few years: I have a million writing ideas. I’ve been wanting to write more for quite a few years, but one of the (many) reasons it’s been hard to motivate myself is that I feel like I’ve been lacking in ideas. But, suddenly, I am inspired by literally everything and have a bunch of WIP ideas that I really want to start.
The problem is, I’ve been letting myself get bogged down in all the numerous fears I have about writing and have been procrastinating HEAVILY on getting started with a writing process. I am hoping that sharing some of my writing fears will help get them out of my brain and, hopefully people will have advice on how to overcome them. Without further ado, here are my many fears about trying to write:
- What if I can’t write anymore? I haven’t written for over a year, since last year’s NaNoWriMo failure. What if I sit down and try to write and…no words come out? Like, not even bad words? Just…no words? What if all my words are gone and I can’t make any come out? What if the reason I haven’t written is that I just…can’t anymore?
- What if I stop halfway through again? I’ve gotten stuck at the halfway points of both novels I started over the past few years. I get stuck in exactly the same spot, tell myself I’ll take a short break, and end up shelving the half-novel I’ve written and feeling bad about myself for failing.
- What if I fail again? What if I’m cursed only to write half-novels? What if I start something, then end up shelving it again? What if I’m incapable of finishing a novel at all? I’ll feel like a failure, and not want to write for another entire over a year.
- What if my ideas are bad? I don’t think my ideas are bad and I’m excited about them, but what if they’re actually terrible and nobody wants to read it?
- What if I do finish? I think I might also be afraid of what happens when I do finish a novel, if that ever happens. Then I would have a lot of work ahead of me, aka revising, aka something I’ve never had to do before because I’ve never finished anything, and I have no idea where to start.
- What if I can’t get into a writing schedule? I feel like I need a “schedule” since most writers seem to talk about having one? But I also have a full-time job and am really tired and stressed a lot of the time. I don’t think I would be able to schedule in long writing sessions. I know in theory they could be short, and don’t have to follow a certain rule, but for some reason I’m worried I wouldn’t be a “real” writer if I didn’t have a schedule of times where I would write A LOT all the time.
- How do I motivate myself to sit down and write? This is currently my biggest problem. I just can’t motivate myself to get over my fears and anxiety enough to actually sit down and do the thing I really want to do, aka write. I just think up lots of ideas and procrastinate on starting them.
Do you deal with any of these writing fears? How do you try to overcome them?