Did this month go by really fast or is it just me? It’s probably just me because this month was BUSY and a lot of changes happened. But here we are at the beginning of September and it is almost FALL thank goodness; I hate summer (despite all the YA romance potential). ANYWAY, here is what happened in August…
- I started my new job! Well, new-ish since it is still at the same library system I was working before. But I am now a children’s librarian instead of a teen librarian and am working in a much smaller branch, which I think will actually be a lot better for me because the big branch often caused me a ton of stress. Even though I started somewhere new, my stress level has already gone way down and I think this job will be very good for my heart condition, which incidentally was caused by stress and anxiety.
- I went home and celebrated my birthday. I desperately needed a vacation since I hadn’t had one since April, and it was nice to go home and surprise my dad for his birthday and get the feeling of helping him feel happier and have people be happy to see me. I’ve been really down for most of the month and going home helped lift my spirits a bit. And I got to see my home kitties!
- I really didn’t feel that great for the second half of the month, tbh. Part of the reason I was so looking forward to going home was because my depression was getting bad again due to some other stuff going on and I just knew going home and seeing my parents and cats would help. I’ve been feeling kind of blah and unmotivated and lethargic for a while I think, but things took a downward turn because of some stuff I’ve been facing in therapy really getting to me. I kind of wish I could talk about it on the blog just to get it out of my system but for some reason this just feels too personal and I’m also kind of embarrassed about what I’ve been struggling with.
- We had two exploding ceiling incidents. Of water pouring from our ceiling into our kitchen. And they were within two weeks of each other. Apparently the first time they used “bad materials” to fix it, which is the dumbest excuse I could imagine. I’m really worried that when a new neighbor moves in upstairs and starts using the sink that it’s going to just keep happening.
what i read
I really dropped the ball again this month in terms of reading. It felt like I read a lot, but I think that was because I DNF’ed 4-5 books. I tried SPIN THE DAWN, which had a storytelling style I found off-putting, WILDER GIRLS, which had a writing style I didn’t like, THE SEVEN HUSBANDS OF EVELYN HUGO, which I had majorly spoiled for me, THE BABYSITTER’S COVEN, which needed to be more gay, and WICKED FOX, which I think I’ll like but I just wasn’t in the mood for this month. I think the problem was that at the beginning of the month I finished two books that were absolutely STELLAR, aka DAISY JONES AND THE SIX and THE RAVEN BOYS and had the worst (best???) book hangover as a result. Honestly, those two books made me feel blah about reading anything else because I knew nothing else would live up to them.
I did try the second book in the Wayward Children series by Seanan McGuire, and I really enjoyed it. DOWN AMONG THE STICKS AND BONES follows my two favorite minor characters from the first book in the series, twins Jack and Jill, and their journey into their door. This series is just so excellently written and so dark and twisty but whimsical at the same time. These books really make me wish that whimsical horror were a subgenre that was more explored. I don’t even really know what genre to categorize these books as but they’re just so creative and clever and I’m psyched to read the next book in the series, BENEATH A SUGAR SKY.
around the blogosphere
I actually blog hopped this month, go me!!
- Kaya discussed how to achieve your readathon goals
- Xandra wrote about things that seem scary about blogging, but actually aren’t
- Cam talked about ways blogging has changed her as a reader
- May discussed her rating system and why ratings are so hard
- The Orangutan Librarian talked about mood reading
- Vicky gave book recs based on the emoji mashup game
I reached 476 followers this month! I am well on my way to my goal of reaching 500 followers by the end of 2019. This month blogging was a little tough for me because I found that I didn’t have much time, and when I did have time I wasn’t in the mood to blog. I think it’s just part of feeling overall blah/lethargic because of feeling a little depressed and all the changes that are happening in my life. I just felt so uninspired by blogging even though I read lots of cool posts from other bloggers. Honestly I’m kind of contemplating another blogging hiatus just to give myself a break and get myself together, but I went on one so recently and I don’t want to lose my momentum with blogging. But I’m just so TIRED and feeling lackluster about things and just want to focus on other aspects of my life for a while. So we’ll see.
Woo, this section returns because I have favorite things this month.
- watching Daredevil on Netflix. I decided to give the Netflix Marvel show Daredevil a try on Netflix because I was feeling sad about not liking the second season of Jessica Jones enough to finish it and OMG, I am so in love with Daredevil? I think Matthew Murdoch might be my new favorite superhero. And Foggy Nelson, his bff??? LOVE!!! Also I am very weirdly attracted to Karen Page even though she’s not my usual type. I will say this show is EXTREMELY dark and violent, and sometimes I have to fast forward through some head smashing. But the story is intriguing and having a blind superhero is like the best thing?? Plus Rosario Dawson is on it and I think she was probably one of my first girl crushes before I realized I liked girls so this show has serious bi energy.
- watching Veronica Mars on Hulu. One of my best work friends has been encouraging me to watch this show and I finally did. I’m not sure if I *love* it yet but I am enjoying it and the mysteries are fun and Kristen Bell is great obviously. I wish I knew about the sexual assault stuff beforehand but also am kind of glad I didn’t at the same time because if I had I probably wouldn’t have given it a chance. Also Veronica’s father is the greatest.
- This cleanser from Farmacy at Sephora. I’ve been wanting to try a new cleanser for some reason and I’d liked another product from Farmacy, a “clean” beauty brand at Sephora, so I decided to try their gentle cleanser, and it is vv gentle, foams nicely, and has a nice scent that does in fact remind me of bees (in a good way).
- My new iPhone 8. Right before my trip home, my phone cracked really badly and I ended up getting a new phone for my birthday?? So that was a nice surprise. It has SO MUCH SPACE and I have room for all my music and apps and also the battery doesn’t run out in half an hour of using it. Also my new case is very smooth and nice.
- TAYLOR SWIFT’S NEW ALBUM, “LOVER”!!!!!!!! This came out the day before my birthday and made me feel like it was a gift to me even though obviously I know that is not true. But I am a huge Tay Swift fan so it felt very serendipitous. My top three songs are: 1. You Need to Calm Down (I am now a Taylor Is Bi conspiracy theorist) 2. The Man (so underrated but so accurate) and 3. The Archer (speaks to me on a personal level)