I know witches should be happy right now because it’s October and officially Witchy Season, aka the one season where it’s actually socially acceptable to be a witch, but even witches get depressed, so today I’ll be sharing some of witchy tips for dealing with life when you’re having a rough time. Please note, obviously I’m not advocating for any of these instead of therapy and/or medication, but if you’re looking for some quick, magical ways to pick yourself up a bit, these are some of the things that have been helping me deal with my depression.
- Spend time with your familiars. Familiars are a witch’s spirit guide in the form of an animal, and petting my familiars always helps me feel a little bit better. There are lots of ways to connect with your familiar, including doing spells with them around, blessing them, and just every day things that are good for them like petting, cuddling, and playing with them. Remember, a happy familiar is a happy witch!
- Carry tiger’s eye and rutilated quartz. Crystals have lots of different correspondences, but there are a few I go to immediately when I’m having a hard time of things. Tiger’s eye is supposed to help balance the mind, so that’s always a good pick. Rutilated quartz, which is a clear stone with gold laced in the middle, is an anti-depressant, and when I look at mine, I always feel a little more hopeful that things could be okay again soon.
- Charge yourself by listening to witchy music. Or any music, really. I think charging yourself is just as important as charging your crystals, and for me, listening to music and absorbing the sounds and feelings of it is a great way to do that. Some of my go-to witchy artists are Sigrid, Florence & the Machine, and Maggie Rogers.
- Cleanse your living space. I always forget this when I’m in the midst of depression and stress, but actually, living in a clean space and the act of cleaning really boosts my mood. There are a variety of ways to cleanse your space, from burning herbs to blessing the corners of your home, but I personally always feel better after I make a real effort to cleanse the negative energies from my apartment.
- Make a negativity trap jar. I used to have a negativity trap jar in my office at my old library branch, and honestly, walking past it every day helped relieve some of the negativity I’d feel throughout the work day. All you put in it is water to purify, salt as the trap, and lemon to cleanse the negativity.
- Hang fairy lights in your house. Okay, so this isn’t strictly a witchy tip I guess? I wish I could do this in my apartment and make it a little brighter, but boyfriend thinks our cat babies would tear them down, which is probably accurate.
- Connect with other witches. There are actually lots of ways to do this: Discord servers, Instagram, and Tumblr. Whenever I’m feeling more depressed, I find posting in witchy facebook groups or DMing other witches about witch questions on Tumblr is really helpful, because I am reminded that I am not alone.