Writing has always been a useful outlet for me, so I’ve decided to try and use it more during the COVID-19 outbreak both to keep a record of what has been going on for the future and also to help keep myself sane. Originally, the library system where I work was just going to be closed to the public, but now we’re closed even to staff and I’ve been at home for the past few days. Today, I’ll be sharing some of what I’ve done while out of work so far:
- Made a lot of lists. Bullet journaling has been a really helpful creative and practical outlet for me in recent years, and I’ve continued that trend while out of work. I’ve been making a lot of lists, including recipes to cook from a cookbook I checked out from the library before we closed, books to read, books I currently have on loan, things to do other than stress eat, and even a list of lists, because I am Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony, anyone??) These lists are really helping me with my anxiety.
- Teleworking. I won’t talk too much about this here because I think I may do a separate post of what I’ve been doing as a public librarian to telework, but I’m technically supposed to be working from home during this time.
- Stress eating. Omfg, I’ve gained 3-4 pounds back over the past week because I’ve been eating so much. I had been doing so well with healthy eating for a couple months so this feels like a major setback and I know I need to get it together and eat better, but cooking is so comforting so it’s hard to give up.
- Bought the Sims 4 on sale. The Sims 4 was on sale for $5 and the magic sims 4 game was on sale for $15 so I bought both because I figured now is a good time to get into the Sims.
- Had a lot of plague nightmares. I keep having nightmares and especially plague nightmares. I also have had dreams about writing a YA plague book. Clearly I am stressed.
- Started the Throne of Glass series. I figured since I may not be going back to work any time soon if the mayor of the city where I work is smart that now would be a good time to binge read a couple series I’ve missed out on. I’m starting with THRONE OF GLASS and then maybe moving on to the Shadowhunters books because there are a million of them.
- Rewatching My Little Pony. I loved MLP in college and still do, so I decided to rewatch it and then continue on to the seasons I haven’t seen yet. It’s so adorable and comforting and just the thing I need right now.
- Being on Twitter too much. I saw an author I follow say he takes 3 hours off social media a day and I feel like this would be a really good thing for me to do because I’ve been on Twitter WAY too much for my own sanity considering every tweet is about COVID-19 and being isolated and quarantined and toilet paper running out. On the one hand I do feel better connecting with my friends on Twitter, but on the other seeing EVERYONE post about the virus is stressful.
I think that pretty much covers everything I’ve been doing over the past few days. I’m supposed to go back to work March 30th, but if things escalate like the news keeps saying it will based on other countries like Italy, I’ll be shocked if the library opens back up and think it would be super irresponsible to staff and patrons if it did. I’m really stressed about the prospect of having to go back to work in the middle of a pandemic but I’m hoping the city will do the right thing and have everybody stay home because I would not be comfortable going back in.