Another month, another monthly TBR! As usual, there are about a million books that I hope to read this month, but I’ll try to keep this list as short as I can (yes, that is a challenge. We shall see how it goes).
- Enchantee | Gita Trelease | February 5 – This book is a glittering historical fantasy set in 1789 Paris. ENCHANTEE follows a girl who must care for her siblings when their parents die of smallpox using dark magic to transform metal into gold so she can buy her way into the court of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette!! I occasionally like historical fiction and LOVE fantasy of all types, so I am extra psyched for this.
- An Affair of Poisons | Addie Thorley | February 26 – AN AFFAIR OF POISONS is another historical fantasy about Paris (Louis XIV this time) and a girl who discovers her mother’s secret Shadow Society are a bunch of murderous poisoners. She accidentally poisons Louis XIV and tries to learn healing remedies to assuage her guilt. This sounds dark and lush and I am very excited, if a little nervous since historical fic isn’t *always* my thing, to read it.
- We Set the Dark on Fire | Tehlor Kay Mejia | February 26 – I actually started reading this one a while ago and got about 20% of the way through, but stopped because it was giving me bleak and hopeless Handmaid’s Tale vibes and I didn’t know if I could stomach the full book. HOWEVER I discovered that it is GAY and therefore I need to go back and finish it because diverse, gay dystopian = YAY.
- The Proposal | Jasmine Guillory – After my first excursion into adult romance with THE KISS QUOTIENT, I’m excited to try more with THE PROPOSAL. This book is about a woman who rejects a VERY public proposal. It sounds super fun and I’m so excited to read it, especially because LOOK AT THAT ADORABLE COVER!!
- A Discovery of Witches | Deborah Harkness – I first heard about this book a while ago but didn’t read it because it was adult, but rediscovered it kind of because of the TV show trailer I saw. My mom also told me she read it and liked it, so I have decided to give this trilogy a try even though the first book is SO LONG HELP I HATE LONG BOOKS!!!
- the Grisha trilogy | Leigh Bardugo – I really want to finish the Grisha trilogy this month, but first I have to reread SHADOW & BONE and SIEGE & STORM because I have horrible series amnesia and have forgotten almost everything about these books except still kind of liking the Darkling even though he’s literally a mass murderer (but I’m still a Mal stan so…yerrr)
Have you read any of these? What’s on your TBR for February?