So, before we begin, let us discuss–what is Mabon? Mabon is one of the Fall time pagan events on the Wheel of the Year, this year falling from September 21-29, celebrating balance in the world. Mabon is the autumnal equinox, celebrated at the beginning of fall, a time when the days and nights start to be equal length and balance in nature is restored.
Mabon is one of my favorite witchy holidays because it is one of the first ones I ever celebrated after becoming a witch. I also in general just love the autumn holidays because I feel very connected to them spiritually and personally and love the colder seasons.
This year, I’m planning to do some witchy activities to celebrate Mabon as part of my goal this month of reconnecting with witchcraft. Here are some of the things I plan to do to celebrate:
- Cleanse my tarot decks. I do this for every witchy holiday I manage to remember. My favorite and in my opinion most effective way to cleanse a deck is to separate the deck and spread it out by suit. This helps solve a lot of deck problems, especially when it starts to give me a lot of reversed cards.
- House cleaning. I plan to do a major house cleaning throughout the week and really work on spots that have been bothering me. I also want to look through my old fall clothes and decide what I can still wear so I know how much I need to replace.
- Watch spooky/witchy movies. I am really in the mood for Coraline, so that’s definitely going on the list. I’m also kind of in the mood for some early episodes of Charmed, so that might happen as well. There are also a couple horror movies on my Hulu list that I want to watch to get in the mood for the season.
- Actually work on my grimoire, maybe? Creating the perfect grimoire has been an ongoing project for me since becoming a witch. I just can’t seem to create one that works. My cat actually destroyed my last one, so obviously that one wasn’t working either. I’m hoping the care and planning I plan to put into my new one will work out and I’ll finally end up with something I’m happy with.
- Go for a walk. I have been loving the crisp, cool autumn air in the mornings and have been really wanting to spend some time in the fall weather, and Mabon is definitely an excellent time to do that.