Hello, and welcome to a new feature that I’m giving a try! I’ve talked about wanting to do more witchy posts, and, specifically, more witchy posts based on astrology, which I’ve been interested in learning. I’ve played with the idea of making recommendation posts based on specific astrological happenings, and today, I’m going to try that out since the moon went into Taurus over the weekend. I’m not sure what exactly that means since I don’t know much about astrological charting yet, but I do know what it means symbolically.
Basically, the moon in Taurus is a time for grounded beginnings, at least according to an astrological calendar I read. During this time, stability can be found, which is a good time for starting new things when all your ducks are in a row.
In celebration of grounded beginnings, I will be talking up some series starters that I want to read that are being released in 2019.
- Ninth House | Leigh Bardugo | October 1, 2019 – As soon as I heard Leigh Bardugo was writing a new book, it instantly went onto my TBR. This is actually an adult book about Alex Stern, a high school dropout who recently survived a horrific, unsolved multiple homicide. On her hospital bed, she’s offered the chance to attend Yale for free, but when she gets there, weird shit starts to happen. This book sounds so dark and good and I cannot wait to hopefully get one when I go to Book Expo.
- Gravemaidens | Kelly Coon | October 29, 2019 – I’ll admit the beautiful cover initially attracted me to this one. It’s about a healer whose sister is chosen by the kingdom’s ruler to join him in the afterlife, and she tries to save her.
- A River of Royal Blood | Amanda Joy | October 29, 2019 – This is a North African-inspired fantasy about sisters who have to fight to the death to win the crown. I just requested it on Edelweiss so fingers crossed that I’m approved! I’m DYING to read it.
- The Beautiful | Renee Ahdieh | October 8, 2019 – This series is about VAMPIRES in New Orleans!!! I can always go for a good historical fantasy and I’m very excited for this one especially because some of my kids are definitely still into vampires so I’ll be able to request this one for them to finally have something new to recommend.
- The Babysitter’s Coven | Kate Williams | September 17, 2019 – This was comped to Buffy so obviously I have to read it for that, and also because it is the color scheme of my soul and about witches. It’s about a coven of teens who discovers their calling to protect the innocent from evil, aka Charmed and every good paranormal thing ever. Ridiculously psyched for this one, and psyched it’s going to be a series!!
- Serpent & Dove | Shelby Mahurin | September 3, 2019 – More witches plus a holy war. Plus a GORGEOUS cover. Go add it to your TBRs this instant.
- Into the Crooked Place | Alexandra Christo | October 8, 2019 – I honestly don’t even know or care what this one is about; all I need to know is that it’s by the author of TO KILL A KINGDOM, aka one of my FAVORITE books last year. But it’s a fantasy and the start of a duology, which is my favorite type of series because it is short. lol.