Hello, friends, and happy middle of October! For today’s post I’m going to be doing a check in on how I’m doing with my tbr for the month. So, without further ado, let’s see how I’m doing!
🔘 = not read; ❌= DNF; ✅ = read
Book of the Month
- The Invisible Life of Addie Larue 🔘 I haven’t read this yet but it is on my TBR for Dewey’s Readathon, which takes place this Saturday!
- A Deadly Education ❌ I gave this one a try despite the controversy but it was not worth it. I can’t speak on the representation of the MC, but I did notice other things that were problematic in regards to witchcraft and use of practices from closed traditions, so I’m not surprised this book has other issues. And honestly, I was not a fan of the clear Harry/Draco vibes so this was a DNF for me.
- Bringing Down the Duke 🔘 not read yet
- Practical Magic 🔘
- Mexican Gothic 🔘
- Beyond the Ruby Veil ❌ I tried this one but found the MC insufferable and her whole character kind of trite. The book seemed like it was trying too hard to be cool and dark and came off as comical instead.
- Plain Bad Heroines ❌ I might try this at another time but I found the writing style very challenging.
- The Once and Future Witches 🔘
- This is All Your Fault ❌ this is my second attempt to read this author but I’m thinking her writing style is not for me. It’s very odd and feels stilted when I try to read it and something about it feels off to me. This particular book is also too similar in plot to another book I read recently, THE SUMMER OF EVERYTHING, which was much better.
From Previous Months
- The Scapegracers 🔘
- Surrender Your Sons 🔘
- Girl, Serpent, Thorn ✅ Melissa Bashardoust became an autobuy author for me with this book. The sapphics are so lucky to have her.
- Legendborn 🔘
- You Should See Me In A Crown 🔘
- Cemetery Boys 🔘